Sydney Dunlap is a former elementary school teacher who has worked with at-risk youth in a variety of settings, and she enjoys reading and writing heartfelt, hopeful fiction that expands young readers’ awareness of tough topics. She is a published poet and has also written for a newspaper. A lifelong animal lover, Sydney lives with her family in a home where the dogs and cats outnumber the people.
A Little More Info About Me:
- Some of my earliest memories include sharing lollipops with my dog, “teaching” my stuffed animals, and writing in a journal as soon as I was old enough to put words on paper. When I grew up, I taught real kids for many years and became an author. I have three dogs who I love a lot, but I’d never share a lollipop with any of them! Yuck!
- When I was little, I used to sing along to soundtracks from Broadway musicals. I had a lot of fun singing and acting in community theater productions (nowhere near Broadway) starting in sixth grade.
- I’ve always loved horses, and they can tell. I have never, ever met a horse that I didn’t like. My first job was taking care of horses in a barn in exchange for riding lessons.
- I also love to travel and have visited Europe several times, as well as Canada, Mexico, Japan, Israel, and Egypt.
- Most days, I go running (well, I call it that, but it’s more like a slow jog) for at least an hour as soon as I get up. Being outside under the sky and listening to the birds singing is my favorite way to begin my day.
- I never eat breakfast food for breakfast. Maybe later in the day, but never in the morning. (I like to eat cheese and crackers when I get up instead!)
- I’m a longtime member (and huge fan) of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). I used to be a conference organizer, and I got to meet many of my favorite authors by inviting them to come as guest speakers.
- Ever since fifth grade, I have had the same best friend. In elementary school, we decided we would one day go to Disney World together and one day to Japan. We have done both.
- I do my best writing with my furry buddies close at hand.